Things I've discovered recently:
- Meet people where they're at. Let the other person share first. Listen and respond, not through a lens of how their story relates to you, but how their life is impacting them.
- Human beings will always find something to worry about. This is simply what it is to be human, so don't give those doubtful thoughts more than 90 seconds of airtime. That's their natural lifecycle after all, so if they last longer than a minute and a half, that's because we're entertaining the thoughts. Pema Chödrön teaches us this.
- Literature offers us another world. Using this world not as an escape but as a vehicle for perspective is a healthy way to bring balance to our minds.
- Coffee + banana = one of the all-time greatest breakfast combinations, definitely winning in the "simplicity" category.
- Cynicism isn't flattering on anybody. Dare to be open. Dare to be willing to have it all. Dare to chase what you really want and what you really care about. Wear your idealism loud and proud and compliment it with pragmatism.